So I took a bit of a break…
I missed the last 2 weeks of CSA posts because 1) Our CSA is picked up on Wednesdays and the 4th of July was on Wednesday, so our pickup was pushed back to Thursday, which just threw my whole schedule off and 2) Last week was really crazy at work so when I got home, all I wanted to do was sit on my butt in front of the TV. So that’s what I did.
But I’m back now! And we’ve got some goodies this week! In the box:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Pickling cucumbers (that are gigantic)
- Assorted peppers (1 green bell, 2 jalapeno and 1 Thai chili)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Eggs (as always!)
Whew! I think I got it all. I’m pretty impressed with our CSA and the variety we continue to get. Southern Wisconsin is officially in an “extreme” drought (there’s only one more category of drought “badness” and I think it’s called something like “Catastrophic” (not kidding), so it’s pretty bad around here. Our CSA newsletter has been talking about the 1,200 gallons of water they’ve been bringing up from their creek every week to water the crops. Our personal tomatoes and peppers are doing pretty well, all things considered. We’ve been watering every once in awhile, but it’s becoming more often now that things are ripening and needing more water.
Which leads me to my next point, WE PICKED OUR FIRST TOMATOES! We’ve got 4 big, plump, juicy, delicious, heirloom tomatoes sitting on the counter, waiting to be eaten! The first to ripen were the Mortgage Lifters and Tigerellas. There are also a handful of cherry tomatoes that are yellow and should be ready pretty soon. All this tomato talk leads me to this week’s menu:
- Thursday (today!) – BLTs using CSA tomato and lettuce (cheese sandwich for me with a bonus slice of CSA onion!)
- Friday – Heirloom tomato sandwiches using our tomatoes & CSA basil. We started making tomato sandwiches constantly last summer after I stumbled across this recipe. They’re. So. Good.
- Saturday – TBA. It’s the last weekend my mom’s sister is in town, so we may go out…
- Sunday – Grilled chicken legs with grilled potatoes & onions (using CSA potatoes & onions)
- Monday – Thai basil curry using basil, Thai chili pepper, onion,
- Tuesday – Loaded nachos w/ shredded chicken, black beans, onion (CSA), cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapenos (CSA), cilantro (CSA), homemade salsa (!!!)(CSA & homegrown tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, peppers…)
- Wednesday – Leftovers?
The following are bonus snacks/other things we’re doing with CSA items:
- Pickles! My mom LOVES pickles (I hate ’em), so she sliced up all the cukes, green pepper, and some onions last night and pickled them.
- Sauerkraut using the cabbage (my brother and sister-in-law really like sauerkraut… I do not)
- Creamy dill veggie dip using the CSA dill with carrots (CSA) and other veggies for dipping
My brother and sister-in-law will probably come up with something to do with the eggplant. I’m not a fan of it, so… we’ll see what happens there.
My gosh that’s a lot of food… but yay, CSA!